Saturday, August 7, 2010

Carnival Restaurant and the Best Burger in Portland

When I was a kid growing up on the SW side of town, my favorite spot for a hamburger was the Carnival Restaurant. You could smell the grill and the burgers cooking from all the way around the windy corners up on Terwilliger Blvd. There were always lines out the door and the parking lot was usually packed. They had big flame broiled burgers before Burger King ever existed in Oregon, (BK's first restaurant opened in 1954, in Florida - The Carnival opened in 1950) and they had a huge condiment bar you could help yourself to with enough hamburger relishs to make any kid drool.

Portland is a city overflowing with restaurants and young entrepreneurs these days. We are not lacking in choices here. Portland is trendy, full of slow foodies, farm-to-table mentality, and humanely raised organic everything... right down to your shoelaces. Restaurants open and close every month and you can find the strangest foods imaginable at the food carts scattered all over town in every available empty lot. I know I'm spoiled with this plethora of wonderful food but sometimes I just want to go out for an old fashioned burger and fries, and to me that doesn't mean the McDonalds drive-through.

So my first review is a research project. It might be a little difficult, since I just joined Weight Watchers, (somehow I'll manage!) but my goal is to try ten to fifteen top burger joints in the Portland area.... someplace where you can get a burger and fries for UNDER $15. That cuts a lot of places off the list right there! Since I'm obviously not going to go out to test ten burgers in ten days, it may be a while before I get back to you on this. It's an ongoing project this fall.
Just fyi, the burger in this photo is from my favorite little diner/store/gas station in Fields, OR. Not in the running for this particular review but a damn good burger just the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment